Pakshipatalam, also known as the Eagle Rock, is a popular trekking destination in the Wayanad district of Kerala. The trek takes you through dense forests, grasslands, and rocky terrain, offering panoramic views of the surrounding hills and valleys. Here is a detailed trek itinerary for the Pakshipatalam trek in Kerala:
Trek duration: 1 day
Trek difficulty level: Easy to moderate
Trek distance: 8 km (round trip)
Maximum altitude: 1740 meters
Best time to visit: November to February
The trek starts from Thirunelly temple, which is located at a distance of about 30 km from the town of Mananthavady. You can reach the temple by hiring a taxi or taking a bus from Mananthavady.
6:00 AM: Start your trek early in the morning to avoid the heat and humidity. The trek begins with a gradual ascent through dense forests, where you can spot various species of birds and animals.
8:00 AM: After trekking for about 3 km, you will reach a small stream where you can take a break and refill your water bottles.
10:00 AM: The next part of the trek takes you through grasslands and rocky terrain. The trail is a bit steep, but the views of the surrounding hills and valleys are worth the effort.
12:00 PM: After trekking for about 4 km, you will reach the summit of Pakshipatalam, which offers panoramic views of the Wayanad district. You can take a break here and enjoy the views while having your packed lunch.
2:00 PM: Start your descent back to Thirunelly temple. The descent is relatively easier and takes about 2-3 hours.
5:00 PM: Reach Thirunelly temple and take a taxi or bus back to Mananthavady.
Essential trekking information:
- Permits: No permits are required to trek to Pakshipatalam. However, it is advisable to inform the local authorities before starting your trek.
- Accommodation: There are no accommodation options available on the trekking route. You can stay in Mananthavady or nearby towns.
- Food and water: Carry enough food and water for the entire trek as there are no food or water sources on the route.
- Weather: The weather can be unpredictable, and it is advisable to check the weather forecast before starting your trek. The best time to visit is between November and February when the weather is dry and pleasant.
Fitness and training tips:
- Start with short treks and gradually increase the distance and difficulty level.
- Do regular cardiovascular and strength training exercises to improve your endurance and stamina.
- Carry a light backpack and wear comfortable trekking shoes with good grip.
- Stay hydrated and carry electrolyte supplements to avoid dehydration and cramps.
- Always follow the trail and do not wander off.
- Carry a first aid kit with basic medicines and bandages.
- Do not disturb the flora and fauna and maintain the cleanliness of the trekking route.
- Always inform someone about your trekking plans and expected return time.
Things to carry:
- Trekking shoes
- Water bottles
- Packed lunch
- Insect repellent
- First aid kit
The cost of the trek depends on the mode of transportation and accommodation chosen. The cost of a taxi from Mananthavady to Thirunelly temple is around INR 1000. The cost of food and water is minimal, and you can carry
Book Your Flights : Here 30% OFF on Booking
Book Your Hotels : Here 20% OFF on Booking