Ponmudi is a beautiful hill station located in the Thiruvananthapuram district of Kerala. The scenic beauty of this place is enhanced by its verdant valleys, meandering streams, and lush green forests. Ponmudi Trek is a popular activity among nature lovers and adventure enthusiasts who want to explore the beauty of the Western Ghats. Here is a detailed trek itinerary along with essential trekking information, fitness and training tips, safety tips, things to carry, costs, etc. for Ponmudi Trek.
Trek Difficulty: Easy to Moderate Trek Distance: 6-8 km Maximum Altitude: 1100 meters Best Time to Trek: November to February
- Arrive at the Ponmudi Base Camp in the morning.
- Complete the registration and briefing process.
- Start trekking towards the peak after a quick warm-up session.
- The initial trail is a bit steep, but it becomes easier as you move forward.
- Enjoy the stunning views of the valleys, hills, and forests en route.
- Reach the peak by late afternoon.
- Pitch your tents and relax.
- Spend the evening around a campfire.
- Have dinner and retire for the night.
- Wake up early in the morning to catch the sunrise.
- Have breakfast and start descending towards the base camp.
- The descent is relatively easier, but you need to be careful while navigating the rocky terrain.
- Reach the base camp by late morning.
- Collect your certificates and memorabilia.
- Depart from the base camp.
Fitness and Training Tips:
- Ponmudi Trek is an easy to moderate level trek, but it involves walking on uneven terrain, so you need to have a decent level of fitness.
- Do regular cardio exercises like running, cycling, or swimming to build stamina.
- Do some strength training exercises to strengthen your core muscles.
- Practice trekking on inclines to get accustomed to the terrain.
- Stay hydrated and eat a balanced diet.
- Follow the instructions of your trek leader.
- Do not litter on the trekking trail.
- Carry a first aid kit with basic medicines.
- Wear sturdy trekking shoes with good grip.
- Carry enough warm clothes and rain gear depending on the season.
- Do not consume alcohol or any other intoxicants during the trek.
Things to Carry:
- Trekking shoes
- Water bottles
- Energy bars and snacks
- Personal medication and first aid kit
- Warm clothes and rain gear (depending on the season)
- Sunscreen lotion and sunglasses
- Torchlight with extra batteries
- Insect repellent
The cost of the Ponmudi Trek varies depending on the duration, itinerary, and inclusions. On average, the cost per person for a 2-day trek starts from INR 2500 and may go up to INR 5000. The cost usually includes accommodation, meals, transportation, trekking guide, and entry fees to the trekking trail.
Book Your Flights : Here 30% OFF on Booking
Book Your Hotels : Here 20% OFF on Booking