Pangong Tso, also known as Pangong Lake, is a mesmerizing high-altitude lake situated in the Ladakh region of India. The lake stretches across an area of 604 square kilometers and is situated at a height of 4,350 meters above sea level. In this article, we will provide you with all the details you need to know as a tourist visiting Pangong Lake.
Pangong Lake is located about 160 km from Leh and can be reached by road. The journey takes about 5-6 hours and takes you through some of the most breathtaking landscapes of Ladakh. You will need to obtain an Inner Line Permit (ILP) to visit Pangong Lake, which can be obtained online or from designated offices in Delhi, Srinagar, and Leh.
There are several accommodation options available near Pangong Lake. Most tourists prefer to stay in tents or homestays to experience the local culture and hospitality. You can also find hotels and resorts in the nearby towns of Tangste and Spangmik. However, keep in mind that the facilities in these places are basic, and you will not find luxury amenities.
Pangong Lake experiences extreme weather conditions, with temperatures dropping below freezing point during the winter months. The best time to visit is from May to September, when the weather is pleasant, and the lake is accessible. During the summer months, the temperature ranges from 10°C to 20°C during the day and drops to 5°C to 10°C at night.
Things to Do
Pangong Lake is a popular destination among tourists, and there are several activities that you can indulge in during your visit:
- Photography: Pangong Lake is a paradise for nature lovers and photographers. The lake changes color throughout the day, and the surrounding landscapes offer stunning photo opportunities.
- Camping: Camping is a popular option among tourists, and several campsites are available near the lake. Camping is an excellent way to experience the local culture and hospitality.
- Trekking: There are several trekking routes that take you through the beautiful landscapes of the region. The Spangmik to Lukung trek is a popular option among tourists.
- Birdwatching: Pangong Lake is home to several migratory birds, including the bar-headed goose, the Brahmini duck, and the brown-headed gull. Birdwatching is an excellent activity for nature enthusiasts.
Apart from the lake, there are several other places to visit near Pangong Lake. Some popular options include:
- Chang La Pass: Chang La Pass is one of the highest motorable passes in the world and offers stunning views of the surrounding landscapes.
- Hemis National Park: Hemis National Park is home to several endangered species, including the snow leopard, the Tibetan wolf, and the Eurasian brown bear.
- Thiksey Monastery: Thiksey Monastery is a beautiful monastery situated on a hill and offers stunning views of the surrounding landscapes.
Conclusion || Pangong Tso (Lake)
In conclusion, Pangong Lake is a must-visit destination for anyone visiting Ladakh. With its mesmerizing landscapes, rich wildlife, and warm hospitality, this region will leave you with memories that will last a lifetime.
Book Your Flights : Here 30% OFF on Booking
Book Your Hotels : Here 20% OFF on Booking