Devikulam is a picturesque hill station situated in the Idukki district of Kerala, India. Located at an altitude of 1800 meters above sea level, Devikulam is known for its lush greenery, rolling hills, serene lakes, and waterfalls. In this article, we will provide all the details that tourists need to know before visiting Devikulam.
History of Devikulam: Devikulam is a place of historical significance as it is believed that Goddess Sita, the wife of Lord Rama, bathed in the Devikulam lake. The name “Devikulam” translates to “the lake of the goddess.” The British discovered the hill station during their colonial rule and developed it into a popular tourist destination.
Attractions in Devikulam: Devikulam is a paradise for nature lovers and adventure enthusiasts. The hill station is famous for its scenic beauty and several attractions that are a must-visit for tourists. The following are some of the popular tourist attractions in Devikulam:
- Devikulam Lake: The Devikulam lake is the highlight of the hill station and a popular tourist attraction. Surrounded by lush greenery and rolling hills, the lake is an ideal spot for boating and fishing.
- Sita Devi Lake: The Sita Devi Lake is another serene lake in Devikulam. According to legend, Goddess Sita used to bathe in this lake during her exile period.
- Pallivasal Falls: The Pallivasal Falls is a stunning waterfall located in Devikulam. The waterfall cascades down from a height of 1000 meters, and the view is simply breathtaking.
- Trekking: Devikulam is an ideal destination for trekking enthusiasts. The hills surrounding the hill station offer several trekking trails with varying levels of difficulty.
- Eravikulam National Park: The Eravikulam National Park is located close to Devikulam and is home to several endangered species, including the Nilgiri Tahr, an endemic mountain goat species.
Best time to visit Devikulam: The best time to visit Devikulam is from September to May when the weather is pleasant and ideal for outdoor activities. The monsoon season (June to August) should be avoided as heavy rainfall can cause landslides and disrupt travel plans.
Getting to Devikulam: The nearest airport to Devikulam is the Cochin International Airport, which is about 120 kilometers away. The nearest railway station is the Aluva railway station, which is about 110 kilometers from Devikulam. Visitors can hire a taxi or take a bus from Cochin or Aluva to reach Devikulam.
Accommodation in Devikulam: Devikulam has several options for accommodation, ranging from budget-friendly homestays to luxury resorts. Some of the popular options include the Ragamaya Resort and Spa, the Tea Harvester Resort, and the Dream Catcher Plantation Resort.
Conclusion || Devikulam
Conclusion: Devikulam is a perfect destination for those who want to escape the hustle and bustle of city life and immerse themselves in nature’s beauty. The hill station offers several attractions and outdoor activities that are a must-visit for tourists. The serene lakes, waterfalls, rolling hills, and lush greenery make Devikulam a paradise for nature lovers. Visitors can indulge in boating, fishing, trekking, and wildlife spotting during their visit to Devikulam. Devikulam is a perfect destination for a peaceful and rejuvenating holiday in Kerala.
Book Your Flights : Here 30% OFF on Booking
Book Your Hotels : Here 20% OFF on Booking