Kumarakom is a beautiful tourist destination located in the Kottayam district of Kerala, India. It is situated on the banks of Vembanad Lake, which is the largest lake in Kerala. Here’s everything you need to know about visiting Kumarakom as a tourist.
Getting to Kumarakom
The nearest airport to Kumarakom is the Cochin International Airport, which is located about 70 kilometers away from the town. You can hire a taxi or take a bus from the airport to reach Kumarakom. The journey takes around 1-2 hours, depending on the traffic.
If you’re arriving by train, the nearest railway station to Kumarakom is the Kottayam Railway Station. You can take a direct train from cities like Bangalore, Chennai, and Mumbai to reach Kottayam and then take a taxi or bus to reach Kumarakom.
Things to do in Kumarakom
Kumarakom is a serene and peaceful destination with a lot of things to do and see. Here are some of the top things to do in Kumarakom:
- Houseboat Cruise: The houseboat cruise is the most popular activity in Kumarakom. You can rent a houseboat and sail through the serene backwaters, enjoying the beautiful scenery and the local cuisine.
- Visit Kumarakom Bird Sanctuary: Kumarakom Bird Sanctuary is a paradise for bird watchers and nature lovers. It is home to several species of birds, including migratory birds like Siberian Cranes.
- Visit the Bay Island Driftwood Museum: The Bay Island Driftwood Museum is a unique museum that displays a vast collection of driftwood sculptures. It is a must-visit for art enthusiasts and those interested in unique art forms.
- Take a Ayurvedic Massage: Kumarakom is famous for its Ayurvedic massages and therapies. You can indulge in a relaxing and rejuvenating Ayurvedic massage to detoxify and relax your mind and body.
- Enjoy the local cuisine: Kumarakom is known for its delicious seafood and traditional Kerala cuisine. You can try some of the local delicacies like Karimeen Pollichathu, Meen Curry, and Kappa and Meen Curry.
Where to Stay in Kumarakom
Kumarakom has a range of accommodation options, ranging from budget hotels and homestays to luxury resorts. Some of the best places to stay in Kumarakom include:
- Houseboats: You can rent a houseboat and stay on it overnight to experience the serene backwaters of Kumarakom.
- Homestays: Homestays are a great option for those looking for a more authentic experience of Kerala. You can stay with a local family and experience their culture, cuisine, and way of life.
- Luxury Resorts: Kumarakom has several luxury resorts that offer a luxurious and comfortable stay with world-class amenities and facilities.
When to Visit Kumarakom
The best time to visit Kumarakom is from September to March, when the weather is cool and dry. During this time, the temperature ranges between 15°C to 30°C, making it ideal for outdoor activities and sightseeing.
The monsoon season in Kumarakom starts from June and lasts till September. Though it is a good time to visit for those who enjoy the rains and lush greenery, it is advisable to avoid visiting during this time as the town experiences heavy rainfall and flooding.
From March to May, Kumarakom experiences summer, and the temperature can rise up to 35°C. It can be quite hot and humid during this time, so it is best to carry light and comfortable clothes if you plan to visit during these months.
Book Your Flights : Here 30% OFF on Booking
Book Your Hotels : Here 20% OFF on Booking