Munnar, located in the Idukki district of Kerala, is a hill station that is often referred to as the “Kashmir of South India”. With its picturesque landscapes, lush tea plantations, and stunning waterfalls, Munnar is a popular destination for tourists visiting Kerala.
Here’s everything you need to know about visiting Munnar as a tourist.
Getting to Munnar
Munnar is located about 130 kilometers from Kochi, which is the nearest airport and railway station. If you’re arriving at Kochi, you can hire a taxi or take a bus to reach Munnar. The journey takes around 4-5 hours, and the route passes through scenic landscapes, including forests, hills, and tea plantations.
If you’re traveling by bus, you can take a direct bus from Kochi to Munnar, which runs several times a day. The bus journey takes around 5-6 hours, depending on the traffic.
Things to do in Munnar
Munnar is known for its scenic beauty and natural attractions, and there are several things to do in and around the hill station. Some of the top things to do in Munnar include:
- Visit the Tea Plantations: Munnar is famous for its tea plantations, and a visit to one of the tea estates is a must-do activity. You can take a tour of the tea factories, learn about the tea-making process, and sample some of the best teas in the world.
- Trek to the Anamudi Peak: Anamudi Peak is the highest peak in South India and is a popular destination for trekkers. The trek is challenging, but the views from the top are worth the effort.
- Explore the Eravikulam National Park: The Eravikulam National Park is home to several endangered species, including the Nilgiri Tahr. You can take a guided tour of the park, go on a nature walk, or explore the beautiful waterfalls and streams in the area.
- Visit the Mattupetty Dam: The Mattupetty Dam is a popular tourist attraction that offers stunning views of the surrounding hills and valleys. You can take a boat ride on the reservoir, go on a picnic, or simply relax and enjoy the views.
- Visit the Attukal Waterfalls: The Attukal Waterfalls are a series of small waterfalls that are surrounded by lush green forests. The area is a popular picnic spot, and you can also go on a trek to explore the surrounding hills.
Where to Stay in Munnar
Munnar has a wide range of accommodation options, ranging from budget hotels and homestays to luxury resorts. Some of the best places to stay in Munnar include:
- Chithirapuram: Chithirapuram is a small village located about 10 kilometers from Munnar, and it’s a popular destination for budget travelers. There are several budget hotels and homestays in the area that offer comfortable accommodation at affordable prices.
- Pallivasal: Pallivasal is located on the outskirts of Munnar and is a popular destination for luxury travelers. There are several high-end resorts and hotels in the area that offer stunning views of the surrounding hills and valleys.
- Munnar Town: Munnar Town is the commercial hub of the hill station and has several budget and mid-range hotels that are popular with tourists.
When to Visit Munnar
The best time to visit Munnar is between September and May, when the weather is pleasant and dry. The monsoon season in Munnar lasts from June to August, and the area receives heavy rainfall during this time, which can make it difficult to go sightseeing or enjoy outdoors.
Book Your Flights : Here 30% OFF on Booking
Book Your Hotels : Here 20% OFF on Booking