The Jaigarh Fort, also known as the Victory Fort, is a magnificent fortress located on a hilltop in Jaipur, Rajasthan. It was built in 1726 by Maharaja Sawai Jai Singh II to protect the Amber Fort and the surrounding area from invaders. The fort offers stunning panoramic views of the surrounding landscapes, and is a popular tourist destination in Rajasthan.
Architecture and Design:
The Jaigarh Fort is situated on a rocky hill called Cheel ka Teela (Hill of Eagles), overlooking the Amber Fort and the Maota Lake. The fort is built of red sandstone and is a fine example of Rajput architecture. It covers an area of approximately 3 km² and has a length of around 3 km. The fort has several gates, palaces, temples, and other structures within its premises.
The fort’s design is a blend of Mughal and Rajput architecture, and is known for its intricate carvings and paintings. The main attraction of the fort is the world’s largest cannon on wheels, the Jaivana Cannon, which was manufactured in the fort’s foundry. The cannon is 6.15 meters long and weighs 50 tons.
Palaces and Structures:
The Jaigarh Fort has several palaces and structures that are worth visiting. The most notable of these are:
- The Laxmi Vilas Palace: This palace was built for Maharaja Sawai Man Singh II and is located within the fort premises. It is a beautiful palace with several rooms, courtyards, and gardens.
- The Jaivan Cannon Foundry: This is where the world’s largest cannon on wheels, the Jaivana Cannon, was manufactured. Visitors can see the foundry and the cannon.
- The Aram Mandir: This temple is located on the eastern side of the fort and is dedicated to Goddess Amba.
- The Vilas Mandir: This temple is located on the western side of the fort and is dedicated to Lord Krishna.
- The Museum: The fort also houses a museum that displays various weapons, paintings, and artifacts of the Rajput era.
Activities and Attractions:
Apart from exploring the palaces and structures within the fort, there are several other activities that visitors can indulge in. The most popular of these are:
- The Jaivana Cannon: Visitors can see the world’s largest cannon on wheels and learn about its history.
- The Panoramic Views: The fort offers breathtaking views of the surrounding landscapes, including the Amber Fort and the Maota Lake.
- Light and Sound Show: There is a light and sound show held in the fort premises in the evening, which narrates the history of the fort.
- Trekking: Visitors can also go on a trek to the top of the hill and enjoy the stunning views.
Conclusion || Jaigarh Fort
The Jaigarh Fort is a magnificent fortress that is rich in history and architecture. It offers a glimpse into the Rajput era and is a must-visit destination for anyone visiting Jaipur. With its beautiful palaces, temples, and panoramic views, the fort is a treat for the eyes and the soul. It is a perfect blend of history, culture, and natural beauty, making it a unique destination in Rajasthan.
Book Your Flights : Here 30% OFF on Booking
Book Your Hotels : Here 20% OFF on Booking